Leftover Paint

Recycle your leftover paint at the following locations. Call for Hours of Operation:
Do you know what to do with leftover cans of paint? With PaintCare, recycling unwanted paint is simple and convenient. Just brint it to your local drop off site. Sites have limited capacity; please call ahed if you would like to drop off more than 5 gallons.

  • Dunn-Edwards - 15300 Hawthorne Blvd., Lawndale (310) 219-2112

  • Shilpark Paint - 15617 Hawthorne Blvd., Lawndale (310) 676-6760

  • Vista Paint - 16325 Hawthorne Blvd., Lawndale (310) 371-3713

For more information visit www.paintcare.org

Used Oil

Recycle your used oil at the following locations. Call for Hours of Operation:

  • AutoZone 13765 Hawthorne Blvd (310) 644-8663

  • Jiffy Lube 12800 Hawthorne Blvd (310) 644-2588

  • City Yard 12501 Truro Ave. (310) 349-1660

  • D&D Shell 11741 Hawthorne Blvd. (310) 675-4104

  • O’Reilly Auto Parts 13601 Hawthorne Blvd. (310) 644-0344

You may also come to City Hall, Public Works Counter, at anytime to pick up a FREE Used Oil Collection Container.

Commercial Waste Discharge

To comply with a State-mandated Sanitary Sewer Management Plan, the City of Hawthorne will be fully implementing a Commercial Waste Discharge Program beginning January 2008. Also known as a F.O.G. (Fats, Oils and Grease) Program, the program serves to eliminate illegal discharges to the City's sewer system. The program primarily focuses on food service and auto repair businesses. Businesses can expect increased inspections and education programs to help prevent the improper discharge of Fats, Oils and Grease.

A permit (available here for download) is required before a business license can be issued. Please fill out the top and bottom portions only for submittal. Fees are as follows:

- Permit Fee of $263. This is renewed every five years at a renewal fee of $172.

- Discharge Inspection Fee of $137. This applies to businesses with grease intercepting devices or clarifiers.

- Disposal License Fee of $339. This applies to businesses without grease intercepting devices that must collect their F.O.G. for disposal. This fee will not be implemented until 2009.

- Additionally, any new facility, or existing facility undergoing major renovations, must install a grease intercepting device.

For more information, you may contact the Public Works Department .